Window Coverings, Window Blinds, & Window Shadings
Measure & Maintain Window Fashions Like a Diva
By Donzel Garrett - As seen in Houston Design Resource Magazine
Don’t tell your mother: its more then just covering your windows, its now window fashions that adjust the light to set the mood in your home. It’s not enough for today’s domestic diva, to whip up a four-star meal after a full day’s work. Your home must create a peaceful and calming atmosphere to make you truly diva-worthy and nothing makes a statement like beautiful windows. Dirty, sloppy or ill-fitting window coverings simply will not do. The very thought can send an aspiring diva rushing back to the embarrassment of a far from perfect home.
Not to worry. Venetian Blind & Floor Carpet One has you covered. Our complete selection of window fashions from Hunter Douglas, the nation’s leading manufacturer of custom window treatments—are easy to install and effortless to maintain. Hunter Douglas Window Fashions are stylish and engineered to make it easy and safe to operate. The benefits include: privacy, light diffusion and control, UV protection and noise reduction. To ensure effective measuring and maintenance of window coverings in your home, here are some helpful hints.
Window Coverings Mounting Options:
First, checkout your options. Choosing between inside or outside mounted window treatments can have a dramatic effect on a space:
- Inside mounting: Choose inside-mounted window treatments on windows that are bordered by distinctive frames or moldings. Additionally, mounting a treatment inside the window frame can emphasize the existing shape of an arched, bay, or bow window. Inside-mounted window treatments also create a subtle backdrop for existing decorative details.
- Outside mounting: Outside-mounted window treatments tend to make a window appear larger, or even a different shape, and they give a variety of options. An outside-mounted window treatment can unify two or more windows, even if they are not in proportion. It may also be used to improve the proportions of a window and hide uninteresting window frames.
Window Blinds Measuring
For best results, and peace of mine, why not let the professionals at Venetian Blind & Floor Carpet One take the final measurements. If you prefer to do it yourself, the following tips will help you to obtain accurate measurements with visually appealing and design-forward results:
- Always use a sturdy 1/4" or 1" steel tape measure for accuracy (cloth tape should never be used).
- For inside mounting, determine the width by measuring from one inside edge of the window opening to the other. Measure in three places and use the narrowest measurement. For the height, measure from the top inside edge of the window opening to the top of the sill for the headrail brackets.
- For outside mounting, measure from one outside edge of the window casing to the other for the width. Add a minimum of 3 inches, or 1 1/2 inches on each side, for the headrail brackets, but check the manufacturer’s suggestions. For height, measure from the top of the window sill to the desired top of the shade or blind.
Window Shading Maintenance
Once your perfectly-fitted window coverings are installed, how do you keep them looking like new? The simple answer: always choose a quality product. All Hunter Douglas products, for instance, are made for a lifetime of wear-resistant, trouble-free performance. Many shade fabrics are specially treated to repel dust and dirt. And Modern Precious Metals® aluminum horizontal blinds are treated with Dust Shield™, an exclusive anti-static paint additive that inhibits dust build-up. With these technologies, it’s easy to find a maintenance program that suits every homeowner's needs. Based on the type of window fashion, here are some goddess-friendly guidelines:
- Faux Wood or Vinyl Products:
Regular dusting maintains a good-as-new appearance. But you’ve got better things to do than dust. To reduce static cling and help repel dust, wipe the product with dryer sheets. Never use abrasive cleaners or chemical solvents, as they will scratch or damage the surface.
- Wood Products:
Clean using a dry and soft feather duster, clean cloth, dust cloth or dusting mit. A vacuum with a soft brush attachment can also be used. Ultrasonic products, chemical solvents, and scrubbing cleansers are not recommended as they will damage the product. Wood blinds should not be submerged in water; better to use a damp cloth to wipe the surface of the wood. For quick spot cleaning, use a damp cloth with Murphy’s Oil Soap.
- Cloth Tapes:
Spot cleaning with fabric cleaning wipes found at your grocery store is recommended for all tapes. These will typically not leave a stain or discolor the tapes. To be sure, test clean on the underneath part of the blind where the tape wraps around the bottom rail where discoloration would be the least visible.
- Fabric Shades, Shadings or Louvers:
Many fabric products may be dusted with a feather duster or vacuumed gently using a vertical stroke Delete in blue(however, there are some exceptions such as Hunter Douglas Luminette® Privacy Sheers). For deeper cleaning, there are a number of options, depending upon the window covering. Possibilities include: bathtub cleaning/water immersion for some Duette® honeycomb shades, ultrasonic cleaning, injection/extraction cleaning and steaming. When in doubt, always consult a window covering professional for details before attempting any of the latter methods.
Make diva-worthy windows a reality with Venetian Blind & Floor Carpet One. Relish the aesthetic appeal of our window treatments, and revel in the ease of maintenance. Finally, your home can look like a dream without losing a wink of sleep. Heaven knows even a domestic diva has to rest sometimes.
We have the following brands available:
- Hunter Douglas Window Fashions
- Aluminum Blinds
- Blue Ribbon Shades
- Brilliance Pleated Shades
- Conrad Handwoven
- Designer Screen Shades
- Duette Honeycomb Shades
- Horizontal Blinds
- Luminette Privacy Sheers
- Provenance Woven Woods
- Skyline Gliding Window Panels
- Vertical Blinds
- Vinyl Shutters
- Wood & Polywood Shutters